Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Ring

Director: Gore Verbinski

Rated: PG 13

Dreamworks Video: March 4, 2003

DVD: 115 Minutes

From IMDb:
Rachel Keller is a journalist investigating a videotape that may have killed four teenagers (including her niece). There is an urban legend about this tape: the viewer will die seven days after watching it. If the legend is correct, Rachel will have to run against time to save her son's and her own life.

I want to start off by saying that I'm not here to rate and review only DVD's, HD's, Blu Rays, 3D, or the sound. I'm down for whatever. I don't think a review blog should be called "eat a bowl of fuck's movie review blog!" When all they do is review the sound quality...or the visual. I'm here to review the MOVIE! So, let's break it down, shall we?

The Ring is a remake, alas, another cheesy rip off of a foreign film. Need I say more? I love all things foreign....almost all things foreign. Really, I just love J-Horror's and Asia Extreme. I'm an addict! I don't want to compare The Ring to Ringu though. So, The Ring is the story of Rachel Keller who has to take care of her son, Aidan. Her niece Katie watches a creepy film and receives a phone call saying she has 7 days to live. After 7 days, surprise surprise, she dies! Rachel investigates Katie's death and ends up watching the tape and, like a moron, brings it home where her son watches it. I mean, it's not bad enough that you are going to die in 7 days, but you bring the tape home, to where your child is. Is it not like...some unwritten rule that children are naturally curious...so even if they stumbled upon said tape and you told them to never touch it, they will regardless? So Rachel lets yet another person watch it and then goes on a mission for the next 7 days to figure out how to solve the mystery of the tape and save herself and her son. Although I bitch, and I do it quite frequently, about movie remakes, The Ring is one of my favorites! I loved it and I won't lie, I was freaked out at certain parts. It has a lot of scare factors. And kids are always creepy in movies like 'The Ring'

Gore Verbinski is an amazing director and his job on 'The Ring' was no exception. Most people will probably recognize him from his work on 'The Pirates of the Caribbean' movies. I'm fairly confident he didn't direct The Ring 2 but he did a great job on The Ring. Building up suspense and having scares at all the right times! The acting in The Ring was also excellent! I love Naomi Watts (Rachel Keller) so there  is really no surprise that I loved her in this movie! Overall, awesome movie! It should definitely be part of any horror movie collection!

My Rating: 5/5


Ginger

Oct 16 - I recently saw Ring last night on Teletoon at Night no less and I decided to watch it again, since it was years that I had last seen it. The one thing that always creeped me out about the movie was the chic climbing out of the well. I don't know why, as I've sit through other movies with "creepy" things, but this movie in particular was always one that freaked me out.
I always wondered why, if she watched the movie more than just once, why they didn't have it that you would die quicker instead just the original 7 days.
I also couldn't understand why she left a tape like that laying around for her son to watch. Seriously lady, you have a "killer" tape and you leave it around.
I've not watched the second one yet, although I have it in my collection...one day though, I will.
But overall, I enjoyed this movie. I liked the tape, and the initial storyline behind it. I would recommend everyone see this or own it.
I am going to give this movie a 4/5.


Bidding you bloody nightmares,
Nyx


No comments:

Post a Comment