Saturday, July 30, 2011

Deep Blue Sea

Director: Renny Harlin

Rated R. 1999 105 mins.

Warner Brothers. Release date: July 28 1999

From IMDb: Searching for a cure to Alzheimer's disease a group of scientists on an isolated research facility become the bait as a trio of intelligent sharks fight back.



I was kind of in the mood for some shark watching today

I have been a fan of shark movies ever since I first heard John Williams score while a great white shark kept people on the beach. The storyline is quite simple, a scientist wanting to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. It almost makes you want to forgive her for being hell bent on keeping the sharks alive, regardless of people dying.  Soon after the experiments, the sharks begin to exhibit signs that only humans possess. They recognize items such as guns, and can even operate an oven and turn it on, while a victim is trapped inside it.

The effects are overly computerized, obviously, which almost gives the sharks a cartoonish appearance. Really, the only big name actor in this movie is Samuel L. Jackson, which (spoiler alert) doesn't fare too well against the last surviving shark, early on in the movie.

I think the twists in the movie were good, but the scientist who sacrifices her life for the main hero of the movie still doesn't save this from being, well a fish out of water flop. This was not one of my favourite movies, nor would I want to have this on my shelf for later viewings.With that being said..
I rate this movie 2/5.

Bidding you bloody nightmares,

Nyx


No comments:

Post a Comment