Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Parasomnia Review

Director: William Malone

Rated: R

E1 Entertainment: July 13, 2010

98 Minutes
From Amazon:
Laura Baxter (Cherilyn Wilson) suffers from “parasomnia,” a bizarre medical condition that keeps her trapped in an almost constant dream state. Art student Danny Sloan (Dylan Purcell) falls in love with the sleeping beauty, unaware that terrifying mesmerist and mass murderer Byron Volpe (Patrick Kilpatrick) has sinister plans to claim her as his own.

I decided to watch 'Parasomnia' because it was from the same director of 'House on Haunted Hill.' And 'House on Haunted Hill' is like...a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know why I like it but...I love it. I've seen it so many times it's unhealthy. 'Parasomnia' has a couple known actors. For me, most notable is Jeffrey Combs from the 'Re-Animator' series. Love that series. 'Parasomnia' starts off a little rough. It seems like it's ALL over the place and there isn't one consistent thing going on. If you're not focused, I can see how it might be confusing for some people. After about 20 minutes or so, the movie starts to pick up even if it is a little weird.

I honestly can't remember the name of the main guy in the story...I think it's Danny? Anyways, he goes to visit his friend in this rehab treatment center...which also serves as a psychiatric unit AND it houses like "the world's most dangerous serial killer." Well, that's the way they talk about him. Strange right? So his friend tells him to go check out the chained up killer guy. As Danny is leaving from seeing this serial killer, he notices this girl sleeping in a bed. And he soon finds out that she suffers from Parasomnia (shocker!) and he becomes like...obsessed with her. It's weird. So all this stuff goes on over the course of like...24-48 hours and then he loves her. Like, undying, completely devoted, would kill for her love her.

So,despite all the weirdness in the movie, it's actually really good. The beginning is slow...and a little confusing but as the movie gets going, it becomes 100 percent better. It ended on a high note for me, which was good. I had a different opinion of 'Parasomnia.' I actually prejudged it and I was like, this movie is going to suck lol. I'm glad I stuck it out and watched it though because it was actually kinda good.

My Rating: 3/5

Ginger

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on House on Haunted Hill. The original had lots of mood but was so campy, I couldn't take it seriously. The remake made you feel like you'd been locked up in a dark mental ward somewhere. You know the movie is good when you can't get the set out of your head afterwards. I can still walk around in my mind in that set.

    ReplyDelete