Monday, June 4, 2012

The Reaping

Director: Stephen Hopkins

Rated: R

Warner Home Video: October 16, 2007

99 Minutes
From Amazon: Investigative scholar Katherine Winter (Hilary Swank) is a debunker of modern miracles, bringing scientific light to superstition and fraud. But events in tiny Haven, Louisiana, defy even her expertise. There, the 10 Biblical Plagues seem to be reoccurring. And the more she seeks answers, the more she questions her own beliefs. Two-time Academy Award (R) winner Swank headlines this electrifying Dark Castle Entertainment production that reaps locusts, frogs, a river of blood and more - all to eye-filling, fear-inducing, heart-probing, must-see effect.
I think I've mentioned before that the Blockbuster by my house was closing. Well, I went on a crazy DVD/Blu-ray shopping spree and The Reaping was one of the movies I bought. It was only 49 cents! haha. Anyways, I thought it was a pretty good movie although I hadn't really heard of it before this point.

So, the movie is basically about this women who umm goes on these expeditions to disprove miracles that people believe are from God. When she returns from one of her "miracles" she gets a visitor who pleads for her help and this woman....I can't remember her name right now but she's played by Hillary Swank....she agrees to investigate it. It wasn't the river turned into blood that intrigued her but the fact that it was caused by a twelve year old girl.

Considering the synopsis for this movie I think it was really well played out. I guess from someone who is an atheist or...not religious, whatever, they might think it's a little heavy on the religious side. That's just something I've heard floating around about it; however, I'd have to disagree. I think it integrated religious aspects very well into the movie with neither side being too distraught. If you haven't seen The Reaping yet I recommend it but you aren't really missing out on anything if you don't.

My Rating: 3/5
Ginger

2 comments:

  1. It borrowed a lot from "The Wicker Man" apart from the constantly moving camera which was terrible. I wanted to like it but David Morrissey sounded too much like Liam Neeson and Hilary Swank couldn't act. It was funny seeing Charlie Brewster (William Ragsdale) in something other than "Fright Night" though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never seen 'The Wicker Man' so I'll have to check that out. Or maybe I have seen it and I just don't remember....in any case I'll watch it, thanks! The Reaping definitely isn't in my favorite movies list but, compared to others, I didn't think it was terrible.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete