Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hostel

Director: Eli Roth

Rated: Not Rated

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment: April 18, 2006

94 Minutes
From Amazon: Well-made for the genre--the excessive-skin-displayed-before-gruesome-bloody-torture-begins genre--Hostel follows two randy Americans (Jay Hernandez, Friday Night Lights, and Derek Richardson, Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd) and an even randier Icelander (Eythor Gudjonsson) as they trek to Slovakia, where they're told beautiful girls will have sex with anyone with an American accent. Unfortunately, the girls will also sell young Americans to a company that offers victims to anyone who will pay to torture and murder. To his credit, writer/director Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) takes his time setting things up, laying a realistic foundation that makes the inevitable spilling of much blood all the more gruesome. The sardonic joke, of course, is that Americans are worth the most in this brothel of blood because everyone else in the world wants to take revenge upon them.

I'm sure by this point everyone has seen Hostel....well, everyone who would be reading this blog. I watched it a long time ago, probably around the time it first came out, and then again the other night. I'm trying to work my way through a staggering stack of horror movies that just keeps piling up! lol. Anyways, I picked this one the other night and it wasn't as good as I remembered it being. I thought there was a lot more...blood and gore and stuff in it. I was a little unhappy with it this time through. And, I totally ruined the beginning of Hostel II by telling the person I was watching it with that I thought it ended differently. Then I proceeded to tell them how I thought it ended with the guy in the hospital and the police show up there and BAM they have dog face tattoo. Then I watched the second Hostel last night with the same person and guess what the opening scene was? Yup, that's me.

So, the story is about these 2 guys from America who are "backpacking" across Europe. And along the way they end up picking up this guy who is a complete weirdo an constantly refers to himself as "The king of swing" or something. I have to point out, there is a lot more tits and ass in this movie then I remember there being as well....anyways so they end up in the Hostel and slowly start to disappear and end up in this factory thing where they are tortured and killed.

Hostel wasn't terrible but it definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be...maybe it's just because I watched it in 2005 and it seemed better back then? Any-who, I would suggest seeing it if you haven't. It won't hurt but you aren't missing anything too exciting if you skip it.

My Rating: 3/5
Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment