Thursday, June 14, 2012

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Director: Oren Peli


86 Minutes, Rated R


Blumhouse Productions: October 16, 2009

From IMDb: After moving into a suburban home, a couple becomes increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence.


My fellow horror writer has previously reviewed this movie.  You can find her review here  Ginger's review.


It's taken me awhile to finally watch this, and finally, I have. To begin, I will be honest and say that usually I'm more attracted to the gore and bloody movies,  yet I found myself attracted to this movie. 


I will admit, I found the beginning to be quite dragging. Like other movies, where you are viewing it through the eyes of the "cameraman", it gives you different angles, that you may not see in regular filmed movies. Being a great fan of both "The Blair Witch Project" and "Quarantine", who also use the 'found video tapes' concept, I was looking forward to some action. 


Throughout the movie, I found the guy quite annoying. From what I gather, she had experienced this sort of "haunting" before, and he didn't believe it. So what does he do, encourage it, call it out, use a Ouija board and taunt it.  Mid way through, I was hoping the entity would come out and get the idiot. 


By the time the action really started kicking in, I must say, I was on the edge of my seat. The funny thing, watching it at night was quite a different experience than watching it the next day with the sun shining through the window. I have been told there are alternate endings, and it seems I just saw the "normal" ending, whatever that is. 


It was frightful in some parts, made me cover my eyes and dread what was going to "show up" on the camera. I do have a new desire to continue watching these in the series though, and I have read recently they are filming a new one for a possible 2013/14 release. 


While it lacks in guts and gore and blood, it makes up for with suspense, frights and the fear that there could be an "unknown" living in our homes. 


For those reasons, I am giving this movie a 4/5.



Bidding you bloody nightmares,
Nyx

No comments:

Post a Comment